Nintendo Switch owners have been blessed with a slew of great games this year. There are plenty of amazing anime games to keep you entertained for hours on end. Whether you’re a fan of action, adventure, or puzzle games, there’s something for everyone. Here are 20+ of the best anime video games for Nintendo Switch.
Content Navigation (TL:DR)
- Dragon Ball Fighter Z
- Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
- Disgaea 5 Complete
- Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny
- Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
- Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
- Neo: The World Ends with You
- Attack on Titan 2
- Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm Trilogy
- Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 Road To Boruto
- My Hero One’s Justice
- Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
- Steins;Gate Elite
- Shin Megami Tensei V
- Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star
- One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3
- CHAOS;HEAD NOAH / CHAOS;CHILD DOUBLE PACK
- Made in Abyss: Binary Star Falling into Darkness Collector’s Edition
- Pokemon Legends: Arceus
- Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Complete Edition
- Fairy Tail
Dragon Ball Fighter Z
The graphics in this game are so detailed that they look just like the anime. You can play as your favorite characters or try out new ones! If you missed fighting games from back when arcades were still around, then Dragon Ball Fighter Z will have everything for you with its same exhilarating 2D action but through the chaotic world of Dragon Ball Z.
DRAGON BALL Fighter Z for Nintendo Switch is the most intense 3vs3 TAG/SUPPORT battle you can experience. With spectacular fights and high-end anime graphics, this game will make you feel right in the middle of the action.
- Spectacular fights: Experience aerial combos, destructible stages, and famous scenes from the Dragon Ball anime reproduced in 60 FPS
- 3VS3 TAG/SUPPORT: Allows players to train and master more than one fighter/style, which brings deeper gameplay.
- HIGH-END ANIME GRAPHICS: Using the power of the Unreal engine and the talented team at Arc System Works, DRAGON BALL FighterZ is a visual tour-de-force.
- Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) Content Description: Cartoon violence, mild language, mild suggestive themes
Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2
The beloved anime series Dragon Ball is back and more popular than ever before! This latest entry in the game has been designed with an immersive role-playing experience that will have you on your toes from start to finish. You can create custom characters based on any member of Team Z Warrior. Get ready for a 3D battle arena where it’s not just winning, but HOW YOU WIN matters too!!
In DRAGON BALL XENOVERSE 2 for the Nintendo Switch, you can experience the epic story of Dragon Ball Z like never before. With new controls designed specifically for the Nintendo Switch, you can unleash your Kamehameha and Spirit Bomb with the Joy Con Motion Controls. Play with up to 6 friends locally, or battle against others online. And for the first time ever, create your own Avatar and participate in even more in-depth character creation and battle adjustments.
- 6 player local play mode (additional Nintendo Switch units are required)
- Use individual Joy-Con controllers to play the game with a friend locally
- Relive the Dragon Ball story by time traveling and protecting historic moments in the Dragon Ball Universe
- More in-depth Avatar creation system and battle adjustments compared to DRAGON BALL XENOVERSE;Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) Content Description: Violence
Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
The game’s plot follows the progression of some popular anime characters, like Goku. This means you get to experience life as he does in his world! With this open-world action roleplaying adventure, you can play through battles from every angle imaginable. Relive the story of Goku and other Z Fighters beyond the epic battles, and experience life in the DRAGON BALL Z world as you fight, fish, eat, and train with Goku, Gohan, Vegeta and others.
In this action-packed game, you will experience the story of Goku and other heroes of the DRAGON BALL Z universe. You will be able to explore new areas, form powerful bonds with other heroes, and much more. The game will also include a free update that will unlock new content, such as new sub-quests and difficulty levels.
- Relive the story of DRAGON BALL Z, from the arrival of Raditz to the final fight against Buu. Experience epic events and light-hearted side quests, including never-before-seen story moments that answer some burning questions of DRAGON BALL lore for the first time!
- Play through iconic DRAGON BALL Z battles on a scale unlike any other. Fight across vast battlefields with destructible environments and experience epic boss battles against the most iconic foes (Raditz, Frieza, Cell, Buu etc…). Increase your power level through RPG mechanics and rise to the challenge!
Disgaea 5 Complete
If you’re a strategy RPG fan, then there is no better way to spend your time than playing Disgaea 5. The game takes players on an anime-style tour through Hell as they command demon warriors in order to fight against Void Dark and his Overlords, who want nothing less than slavery for all of the Netherworlds!
This is the complete Disgaea 5 experience, with all of the DLC included. Play through hundreds of hours of content, deep strategic battles, and extensive customization options. The definitive Disgaea 5 package!
Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny
In the sixth game of this popular series, you play as Zed. He’s a zombie who has gone on an epic quest to defeat God and take back his world from him!
The latest installment in the tactical role-playing video game series, Disgaea 6, is now available on the Nintendo Switch. With over 100 hours of content, new characters, and intense battles, this game is sure to keep you entertained for hours on end. Pick it up today and start your adventure!
- The first new Disgaea game in six years is here! Meet Zed, a zombie that has risen above them all except one-a god of destruction
- Features such as Super Reincarnation, 3D visuals (a first for this series), and adjustable gameplay settings make this the perfect game for both new and old Disgaea fans
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
In Studio Ghibli’s Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, you’ll take the role of Oliver, who taps into his prowess and his friends to revive his beloved mother. Prepare yourself for a whimsical adventure that features fun combat scenarios, gorgeous graphics, and a deeply affecting storyline.
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is an epic role-playing game that takes you on a journey through a fantastical world filled with magic and adventure. With stunning animation storyboarded and created by Studio Ghibli and music composed by Joe Hisaishi, this game is sure to enchant you.
- Journey back to the other world in Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. LEVEL 5’s classic tale is now available on Nintendo Switch.
- Join Oliver as he embarks on an adventure through a world inhabited by new friends and ferocious foes alike in the hopes of bringing back his mother after a tragic incident.
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
The sequel to Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, this game is set hundred years after. The story follows Evan Pettiwhisker Tildrum, who was replaced as king in his own castle and set out with an attempt at creating a new kingdom for himself, but will it be enough against those challenging him? Players control their character through various quests that are filled heavily into role-playing elements, such as leveling up or developing certain skills they might need along the way.
Step into the magical world of Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom and experience the ultimate role-playing adventure. This Prince’s Edition includes the full game, expansions that add hours of additional gameplay, and a Prince’s Equipment Pack. Lose yourself in this fantastical world today.
- Captivating Story A charming and tragic tale unfolds as Evan, a boy prince learns how to become a leader and build a kingdom
- Role Playing Mastery New and traditional RPG elements expertly crafted and designed featuring dozens of locations to explore, hundreds of creatures to battle and a wealth of quests and secrets to uncover throughout the sweeping journey
Neo: The World Ends with You
The game was released for Nintendo Switch in 2021. The game is Set in a recreated and stylized version of the Shibuya district in Tokyo; high school student Rindo becomes involved in “the Reapers’ Game,” in which he and his team named the “Wicked Twisters” must battle other teams over the course of a week for their survival.
In this action-packed RPG, you’ll collect and wield hundreds of powerful Psych abilities to battle surreal threats. With an amazing art style, music, and monsters, it’s a must-have for any Nintendo Switch owner.
Attack on Titan 2
Attack on Titan 2 offers the perfect mix of hack-and-slash gameplay and anime cutscenes. The game lets you create and customize your own character, then experience the world of Attack on Titan as a new recruit in the Survey Corps. With Titans standing in your way, it’ll take all your skills to survive.
- Attack on Titan 2 is the gripping sequel to 2016’s titanic action game
- Features an abundance of new gameplay mechanics
- Players will once again don the renowned Omni-directional manoeuver gear as they fight and repel the fearsome Titans that threaten humanity
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm Trilogy
This game compilation includes the first three Ultimate Ninja Storm games, with all the DLC content for each title. That means you get 100 compelling missions and the original animated storyline up to the Sasuke Retrieval Arc, plus the Battle System and Online Mode from Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4. It’s an amazing way to experience one of the best anime fighting game series ever made.
- 100 compelling missions & the original animated storyline up to the Sasuke Retrieval Arc
- Enjoy the Battle System and Online Mode from Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2
- Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 against the masked man and Nine-Tails with the instant awakening
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 Road To Boruto
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4: Road to Boruto lets you experience the story of Naruto’s son Boruto and features newly playable characters such as Boruto, Sarada, and Mitsuki. With refined team-based ninja combat that is as fun as ever, this game is a must-have for any fan of the anime series.
- Experience the story of Boruto: Naruto the movie!
- discover newly playable characters such as Boruto, Sarada and Mitsuki
- master the new combination techniques of the OLD and new generations
My Hero One’s Justice
The recently released video game, My Hero One’s Justice, is a 3D arena fighter populated by all the great heroes (and villains) from anime series. The gameplay mechanics are similar to other popular Shonen Jump games in which players take control over one of their favorite characters fighting against others.
My Hero One’s Justice pits fan favorite characters like Deku, All Might, and Tomura against each other in an all-out brawl. The environments are destructible, so you can unleash your inner superhero and take down your opponents however you see fit. With up to 2 sidekicks accompanying you in battle, there’s no telling how powerful your attacks will be. So choose your hero (or villain) and get ready for a fight to remember.
- HEROES OR VILLAINS – Choose between fan favorite characters like Deku, All Might, Tomura, and many more in your path to justice
- Total destruction – The environments are at your disposal as players can destroy their surroundings in fierce battles
Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
The definitive edition of Tales of Vesperia is a real-time action RPG that follows Yuri Lowell, an Imperial Knight, in search of his lost device. Of course, the simple search and retrieve mission ends up turning into something more. If you’re looking for over 40 hours of entertainment, Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition is the way to go.
A beloved tale returns on Xbox, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and Steam! The Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition includes updated graphics, music tracks, mini-games, bosses, and unreleased costume DLC. Play as Yuri and his companions on their quest to save the world from evil.
- A BELOVED TALE RETURNS! — The tale of a young hero on a quest for justice that captivated Tales fans returns to Xbox and makes its way for the ﬁrst time to PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and Steam!
- EVERYTHING IN ONE EDITION! — Dive into the Deﬁnitive version of this game with updated full HD graphics, brand-new music tracks, exciting mini-games, bosses, and a collection of unreleased costume DLC!
The new Steins;Gate Elite game is an updated version of the original 2009 title, with brand-new animation and cutscenes from the anime series. The hilarious adventures in time travel will have you laughing all throughout this science fiction comedy!
This remastered, ultimate version of the game features newly animated sequences for certain endings and branching storylines that depend on your choices. Indulge in all the beautiful animation from 24 episodes of the STEINS;GATE anime.
- Fully Animated Adventure – Indulge in all the beautiful animation from 24 episodes of the STEINS;GATE anime
- A New Way to Time Leap – Experience the world of STEINS;GATE with this remastered, ultimate version that features newly animated sequences for certain endings
Shin Megami Tensei V
In Shin Megami Tensei V, you are Nahobino, a young man who must decide the fate of the world. Nahobino and his friends live in a post-apocalyptic Tokyo where they must choose between the ambitions of god or humans. With stunning visuals and an intense storyline, Shin Megami Tensei V is one of the most appreciated games of 2021.
- In Shin Megami Tensei V, the latest entry in the acclaimed Shin Megami Tensei RPG series, play as a high school student who must harness newfound powers to fight through a demon-infested wasteland using a command-based system. Though demons are formidable opponents, some can be worthy allies and recruited via negotiations to fight alongside you in a dying world. How will your destiny unfold?
Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star
Command your Servants in Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star for the Nintendo Switch! Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star is an action game for the Nintendo Switch that transforms the insanely popular visual novel series into a stylized battlefield. As “Master,” you’ll control powerful spirits known as “Servants” in fast-paced combat while also enjoying intimate visual novel storytelling between yourself and the Servants.
- The hit action title based in the Fate universe makes its way to Nintendo Switch loaded with over 30 previously-released paid DLC costumes, along with an exclusive new Unshackled Bride outfit
- Not just Fate/EXTRA Servants, but characters from other Fate continuities appear with their original Japanese voiceovers and English sub-titles in a new story by acclaimed series author Nasu Kinoko
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3
Despite being the third entry in the series, One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 retells the origin story of Monkey D. Luffy and his eccentric Straw Hat Pirate crew. The game does cover more ground in story mode. All the way up to the Dressrosa Arc. Anime fans looking for a crazy Musou style beat ’em up will be pleased with the over-the-top action of One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 for the Switch.
Take your favorite Straw Hat Pirates on the go with One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3. Play split-screen co-op with friends in dream log mode, or re-experience the original One Piece story. The roster of characters now includes Sabo, Donquixote Doflamingo, Fujitora, and many more.
CHAOS;HEAD NOAH / CHAOS;CHILD DOUBLE PACK
Two delusions become one. Enjoy both Delusional Science Adventure Series in one cartridge!
Both games feature branching paths and multiple endings. Where will your delusion take you?
CHAOS;HEAD NOAH and opening movies have been remastered in HD, including all the new songs made during the original CHAOS;HEAD NOAH port.
CHAOS;HEAD NOAH – Play as Takumi and use your “Delusion” to find the truth about a serial murder case called “New Generation Madness.” Your delusion will change the endings!
CHAOS;CHILD – Play as Takuru and explore Shibuya in 2015, after an earthquake nearly leveled the city six years prior, and try to outsmart the puppet-master behind this New Generation Madness.
- Two delusions become one. Enjoy both Delusional Science Adventure Series in one cartridge!
- Both games feature branching paths and multiple endings. Where will your delusion take you?
Made in Abyss: Binary Star Falling into Darkness Collector’s Edition
Made in Abyss, an anime series by Akihito Tsukushi is getting its video game adaptation! Experience the Anime’s Story. Experience the world of Made in Abyss like never before! Relive the story of the anime in this 3D Action RPG. Play through the game with either Japanese or English text and audio, with the anime cast reprising their roles for fully voiced event scenes.
- Relive the world of the Abyss in this 3D Action RPG!
- Original story supervised by Akihito Tsukushi!
- Play the game with either Japanese or English text and audio!
Pokemon Legends: Arceus
Pokémon fans rejoice! This newest addition to the Pokémon series offers a new take on the beloved franchise. In Pokémon Legends: Arceus, you’ll travel to the Hisui region—the Sinnoh of old—and build your own Pokédex. You’ll also learn about the Mythical Pokémon Arceus and its role in this mysterious tale. But that’s not all! This game also lets you battle with your favorite Pokémon in two different styles: speedy and agile or powerful and strong. So choose your favorite Pokémon and get ready for some exciting, action-packed battles!
Go on an adventure through the expansive natural majesty of the Hisui region, where you are tasked with studying Pokémon to complete its first Pokédex. In this era, find newly discovered species like Wyrdeer, and along your journey, uncover the mystery surrounding the mythical animal known as Arceus.
- Action meets RPG in this new take on the Pokémon series
- Study Pokémon behaviors, sneak up on them, and toss a well-aimed Poké Ball to catch them
- Unleash moves in the speedy agile style or the powerful strong style in battles
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Complete Edition
The game lets you explore both our world and the digital one as you try to solve a cyber mystery. You’ll need your chosen Digimon’s abilities in turn-based conflicts against other users, wild monsters, or even internet viruses! Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Complete Edition lets you become a cyber detective or powerful hacker to solve diabolical Digi-mysteries. Featuring more than 300 digital to collect, raise, and digivolve! You can also battle your friends in classic turn-based battles.
- Become a cyber detective or powerful hacker to solve diabolical digi-mysteries.
- Embark on a thrilling adventure where the line between the real and digital worlds is blurred.
The combat in this JRPG is interesting because it emphasizes proper spacing and elemental weaknesses. The massive amount of warriors you can bring into battle with your guild adds a lot to the game’s replayability, especially when upgrading them over time!
Based on the best-selling manga of the same name, this enchanting new title marks the first time a fairy tail game will launch on major consoles in the West. Join Natsu and his friends as they start their journey in the land of Fiore, filled with demons, dark wizards, dragons, and cats!
- The game is based on hiro mashima’s best-selling Japanese manga of the same name.
- This enchanting new title marks the first time a fairy tail game will launch on major consoles in the West for PS4 and Nintendo Switch
So there you have it, anime fans! Over 20 of the best anime games perfect for any otaku, game heads, and more. Be sure to leave a comment and let us know which ones you picked up – we’d love to hear from you. And if you’re looking for even more great anime-related merch to keep you entertained, be sure to check out our other lists for all kinds of otakus. Thanks for reading, and happy gaming!